Carey Nieuwhof & Brad Lomenick
Vision Pivot and Finding Clarity on Reversing the Decline in the Church
About The Episode
“Every leader has to rethink vision for every new season. Mission is the north star, but vision can and should be something that changes over the course of your career.” In today’s episode, we bring in two of the great leadership voices in ministry to unpack the recent Carey Nieuwhof vision winnowing and inspire leaders on forging ahead in the New Year. Carey Nieuwhof and Brad Lomenick join Sean Morgan in a vulnerable conversation about Carey’s crisis of vision this past year and how church leaders can find encouragement if they too are unsure about the road ahead.
Welcome to Episode 072 of the Leaders in Living Rooms Podcast with Sean Morgan.
Insights From Carey & Brad
What is A “Good” Vision?
- “Success creates its own vision void. Because you just want to do more of the same and you don’t want to break it.”
- If it’s all achievable within a calendar year, it’s not really a vision.
- What we’re doing now, just bigger, is not really a vision.
- You need to define a BIG problem. What are you devoting your time to solving?
Reversing the Decline in the Church
- It’s a bigger problem than one ministry, one leader, one church can solve.
- Internal challenge is that so many pastors are walking away. External problem is what does culture/society think about this?
- It’s going to take a lot of thinking outside the box, a lot of ingenuity.
- So much of this has to be 1:1 offense and defense
- This is a Church “big C” problem
- Culture is starving for things that don’t scale – how do we get there? We each have to take our place in the strategy.
- “In 2023, I believe sermons are moving from attraction to anchor. Anchor meaning, anchoring people in truth.” Carey
- “Life happens at the local level, not the macro level. It comes back to cities and communities where things really get done, this is where we’ll change the decline of the church at the local level.” Brad
Who Are Carey Nieuwhof & Brad Lomenick?
Carey Nieuwhof is a best-selling leadership author, speaker, podcaster, former attorney, and church planter. He hosts one of today’s most influential leadership podcasts, and his online content is accessed by leaders over 1.5 million times a month. He speaks to leaders around the world about leadership, change, and personal growth.
His best-selling book, At Your Best: How to Get Time, Energy, and Priorities Working in Your Favor, is designed to help every leader escape stress and begin living at a sustainable pace and has been profiled by Forbes, Fast Company, and Business Insider.
Twitter & Facebook: @cnieuwhof | Instagram & TikTok: @careynieuwhof
Brad Lomenick is a leadership consultant, speaker, founder of BLINC, and author of The Catalyst Leader and H3 Leadership. He writes about leadership, the next generation, creativity, innovation, social media, teamwork, and personal growth.
Sponsors & Partners
Thanks to our sponsor: Food For The Hungry.
Combine your church’s heart for the poor and Food for the Hungry’s global experience at fh.org/churches.
The Art of Leadership Academy – https://careynieuwhof.com/the-art-of-leadership-academy/
Quotes From Episode
“Every leader has to rethink vision for every new season.” Brad
“Success creates its own vision void. Because you just want to do more of the same and you don’t want to break it.” Carey
“In 2023, I believe sermons are moving from attraction to anchor. Anchor meaning, anchoring people in truth.” Carey
“Life happens at the local level, not the macro level. It comes back to cities and communities where things really get done, this is where we’ll change the decline of the church at the local level.” Brad
Listen to Recent Episodes
About the Host
Sean Morgan is a coach and speaker with a national reputation as a catalyst of fresh vision. His passion is to help ministries navigate obstacles and turn them into opportunities.
Throughout his career, Sean has pioneered initiatives impacting thousands of leaders across the country. He started out serving as Executive Pastor and CFO at New Life Church in northern California.
As host, Sean gives you access to amazing conversations, hard-won wisdom, and poignant insights from world-class leaders in intimate “living room” settings.
Leaders in Living Rooms
Craft & Character
Take Your Leadership to New Heights
The Ascent equips you to lean into your God-given leadership potential.
Cohorts offer you the chance to go deeper with a small circle of peers and professional mentors so you can elevate your expertise and grow your confidence as a leader.
Learn more about upcoming cohorts by clicking below.