Life After Full-Time Ministry and Creating a Career Out of Influence
About The Episode
“God uses transition to connect us more deeply to the people around us.” Meet Clay Scroggins, author of the best-selling books How to Lead When You’re Not in Charge, How to Lead in a World of Distraction, and The Aspiring Leader’s Guide to the Future. In today’s episode, Clay gives a deep, personal look at what transitioning from a lead pastor role to an entrepreneurial, self-employed role has looked like for him. He gives a ton of perspective and insight into what his journey has been, leaving us with thoughtful questions to ask and actionable items to tackle next when we face a season of transition.
Welcome to Episode 077 of the Leaders in Living Rooms Podcast with Sean Morgan.
Insights From Clay Scroggins
You’re Not “Done” When You Transition from a Lead Pastor role
- Just because you aren’t working at a church doesn’t mean your role is unimportant.
- Whatever you’re going to do next is not what you’re going to do forever.
Your Anxiety and Identity After Transition
- You have gifts that don’t have to be relegated to the church world.
- Your spouse plays a key role in encouraging and adding helpful perspective when you face doubts for what’s next.
- Nobody should be strictly identified by the role they play in life.
Surprises After Transition From Lead Pastor
- Clay would not have assumed he was wired to be in an entrepreneurial role. Don’t label yourself in that way. It might not be true!
- Clay has found that he is at his best when he walks into a new environment and is able to use his “WOO” (winning others over) strength in a new setting.
What Do You Do When You Have the Gift of Time?
- Make yourself create a couple of products that you can serve people with.
- Get strategic in your focus! What seeds do I have to plant?
- What’s your “superpower” that takes little energy from you and that others would find value in?
If you’re a leader approaching a succession or transition. Or maybe you’re a few years in and beginning to see how complex transitions leadership is… go to The Art of Pastoral Succession and checkout my brand new course in partnership with Carey Nieuwhof.
Are you in Transition or have one on the horizon? Check out our 2023 cohorts and get connected with us at: https://theascentleader.org/cohorts/
Who Is Clay Scroggins
Clay is the author of the best-selling books How to Lead When You’re Not in Charge, How to Lead in a World of Distraction, and The Aspiring Leader’s Guide to the Future. He holds a degree in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech as well as a Master’s degree and Doctorate with an emphasis in Online Church from Dallas Theological Seminary. For almost 20 years, Clay Scroggins served in many pastoral roles at North Point Ministries, a multisite church started in Alpharetta, Georgia led by Andy Stanley. Most recently, Clay served as the lead pastor of Buckhead Church, one of North Point’s largest campuses. Clay is a sought after speaker (that’s what he tells his parents) having worked with organizations ranging from the Dallas Cowboys or the staff at the White House all the way to Taco Bell or the Alabama Association of Tax Assessors. Clay lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with his wife, Jenny, and their five children.
Quotes From Episode
“We don’t cling to a job title or ministry position, but it’s a season and we have to be open to the change of season.“ —Sean Morgan
“God uses transition to connect us more deeply to the people around us.” —Clay Scroggins
“Nobody should be strictly identified by the role they’re in in life. We’re all so much more than what we do.” —Clay Scroggins
Listen to Recent Episodes
About the Host
Sean Morgan is a coach and speaker with a national reputation as a catalyst of fresh vision. His passion is to help ministries navigate obstacles and turn them into opportunities.
Throughout his career, Sean has pioneered initiatives impacting thousands of leaders across the country. He started out serving as Executive Pastor and CFO at New Life Church in northern California.
As host, Sean gives you access to amazing conversations, hard-won wisdom, and poignant insights from world-class leaders in intimate “living room” settings.
Leaders in Living Rooms
Craft & Character
Take Your Leadership to New Heights
The Ascent equips you to lean into your God-given leadership potential.
Cohorts offer you the chance to go deeper with a small circle of peers and professional mentors so you can elevate your expertise and grow your confidence as a leader.
Learn more about upcoming cohorts by clicking below.